Friday, August 14, 2009

From Pony Club to Animal Control

Mr Pony Before:

Photobucket



Mr Pony 25 Days Later:

Photobucket




The CHANGE Program is a non-profit organization that supports Sonoma County Animal Care & Control in handling equine neglect and cruelty cases. CHANGE provides foster care and adoption services to these horses, promising them a second chance. Horses enter the CHANGE Program via Animal Control as the result of a seizure or relinquishment. Ride along with one Sonoma CHANGE Program director as she responds to a call for help and discovers criminal neglect that catapults the case into the domain of Animal Control.


I RECEIVED A CALL from someone about a pony in trouble. He asked me "Are you the lady who does horse rescue?" I hate it when the conversation starts out like that because I then know what's coming next. He told me he knows a pony who is very thin, and asked if I could come. I told him I would come over and evaluate the pony. We made a plan to meet the next day.

Next morning came and I went to the run-down property. We walked into the back yard area and there stood a horrifying sight. This pony stood in front of me, skin and bones. You could count each individual rib; his hip bones stuck up like an old dairy cow's, and his spine was completely visible and stuck up. His neck was so thin it made his head look too big for his body. His head hung low and he didn't even seem to know I was there. He was one of the saddest ponies I've ever seen. His eyes were dead and he didn't want to eat. Looking down in his feed bowl, I discovered why. He was being given alfalfa cubes only, hard as a rock. Being his teeth were deplorable and his state of health so poor, he could not eat this for nutrition even if he wanted to.


Photobucket




I immediately showed the concerned man how easy it was to take the time to break up the cubes and soak them to make it so the pony could eat them. The little pony came over to me once this was done and I showed him the now soft, prepared food. Still very weak and not understanding, he did attempt to eat some in the rubber bowl.

The man had been right to call. This was neglect, and Animal Control needed to be called. I knelt down next to the pony and whispered in his ear that I was leaving, but I would be back the next day with not only help, but to take him out of this hell.

I left the property and immediately contacted Sonoma County Animal Care & Control. They agreed to investigate the pony the following day. I soon find out this won't be their first time there. Less then a year ago, the owner of the pony had been charged and convicted of misdemeanor Animal Cruelty involving not only this pony, but the other horses.

Next morning, I wait at the property for the arrival of Animal Control. A big, white boxy truck comes down the street and into the driveway. To me it reminds me of a white stallion with the prince aboard, coming to save the day. But, this time it was not a prince, but a tall, slender blond woman. Soft-spoken and kind, Officer Shirley is a great diplomat with defensive pet owners and a top horsewoman, too.

She explained to the owner that a complaint would be filed for the neglect and that he could immediately relinquish the pony, whose condition was critical. I couldn't wait to load up "Mr. Pony," as he was called, and transport him to a waiting critical-care foster home. He was led to the trailer, walking very slowly from weakness. I whispered in his ear: I told you I would come back and take you away and here I am, so let's go! For the first time, he had a burst of energy, enough for him to jump into the trailer as to say " Let's get the hell out of here!"

Mr Pony Day 2, arrival in foster care




And so we did.

I transported the pony to a CHANGE Program foster barn. In foster care, Mr. Pony immediately thrived on a medically-supervised re-feeding program designed for emaciated horses. His foster home fed him many small meals throughout the day and night, making certain never to overload his starved body with too much feed. He rarely took his head out of his bucket, where a special "old man gruel" made it easy for the dentally-challenged pony to gum his feed. His astonished foster caretaker reported that he literally gained weight by the hour.

At the foster barn, Mr. Pony was surrounded by children, who bathed and brushed and braided him. Thin and weak, he closed his eyes, reminded of happier times when he had been used in Pony Club. After a few days, he felt good enough to trot a few steps. After a week, he was turned out with the resident motherly, one-eyed Shetland pony. Mr. Pony, alone for so long, snuggled happily against her side.

I had been unable to foster Mr. Pony when he was first turned over to Animal Control because I was leaving on a long-awaited vacation. During my vacation, I couldn't seem to get this little pony off my mind. Would he be alive when I came home? I would call his foster home, like checking on your kids when you leave them with a babysitter. I just couldn't help myself. Even though I knew he was in the best of hands, I couldn't stop worrying about him.

Two weeks later, I was back from my trip. Mr. Pony, or "Buddy" as we came to call him because of his companionable nature, had gained a lot of weight and was now becoming bright-eyed again. His critical-care foster home had done a good job with him; now he moved to my barn for long-term rehabilitative foster care. Ultimately, he would be placed for adoption in a loving, permanent home.

Buddy had been chronically neglected, and malnutrition had done its devilish work. Despite his outward improving health, a few days aftermoving to my barn, Buddy developed a fever of 103.8. He was lethargic and wouldn't eat.

Later that day, CHANGE Program volunteer veterinarian Grant Miller delivered the sobering news: "He is one very sick pony" said Dr. Miller, as I listened, my eyes swelling with tears. It all seemed so unfair. The next day, lab results from the pony's bloodwork confirmed our worst fears: Buddy had internal pigeon fever. This is a bacterial infection also called "Dryland Distemper." In its common form, it's relatively benign, but rarely, the bacteria sets up internally, near an organ. Even with the most aggressive antibiotic treatment, the survival rate with the "internal" form is only about 50%.

Thanks to all the people who have supported the Sonoma CHANGE Program, our medical fund is able to shoulder much of the cost of the drugs (which even at cost are expensive). Dr. Miller and I are determined to give Buddy the powerful antibiotics (Naxcel and Rifampin to start) he needs for the best chance of survival. This means that twice a day, I must give Buddy intramuscular injections or shoot red goo down his throat. He is miserable, and soon tries to avoid me.

Poor Buddy, he stands along the fenceline of his paddock, eyeing my pasture horses in a lonely way. He just leaks sadness. He wants to be part of the group so badly.

As sick as he is, I just can't let him out with them. But this presents a problem, as he refuses to budge from the fenceline, in spite of 100 degree heat. I thought what to do. Once I noticed his sun burn pink nose, that was it.

I went and purchased a portable gazebo for him, which in turn fell down in the wind within the hour. Next was the RV tent, which also succumbed to the wind. I thought for awhile and decided to make something just small enough for him. Using green shade cloth, the "Getto Shetto" was born. Buddy loves it. He lives in that thing all day, still able to be along the fence line and next to the other horses. I pack it with shaving in order for him to lay down on. I feed the other horses right next to him as if he was in the group. He is a very happy camper now.


Photobucket


Photobucket








Still, Buddy's condition has its ups and downs. One day no fever, two days later a high fever. He has been on several different antibiotics, but then gets loose stool and we have to deal with that. So the next day another medication is tried and so on and so on. We continue our battle against the internal abscess that Dr. Miller says has set up in Buddy's liver. And we hope for the best.

~Betsy
Sonoma CHANGE Program co-founder, board member, and volunteer

Buddy continues his fight against internal pigeon fever. Please look for updates on Buddy as the weeks progress. To help with Buddy's care, please visit our donation page to see how you can be part of CHANGE!

Once he is (hopefully) recovered, Buddy will need a permanent home where he can lead a gentle life of semi-retirement (with lots of children to braid his mane). He is a gentle 23-year-old Welsh cross, 13.2 hands, sound with clean xrays, and has been used extensively in Pony Club by children and teens. Please contact us at info@changeprogram.com for information about adopting Buddy.












4 comments:

  1. Thoughts and Prayers for "Buddy" aka Mr. Pony and his wonderful caregivers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish the best for this darling darling little man. My girls will get an extra peppermint and a few extra belly scritches tonight in tribute to Buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you all for caring and for allowing us to share in the anatomy of a rescue. Do periodiacally update us on the rehab and recovery of these animals. I, for one, would like to know how things are going for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. tears for Buddy... sad ones for his situation before, and his illness now...

    and happy ones, that you got him out of there!

    prayers coming for the little sweetie!!!

    ReplyDelete