Sunday, August 2, 2009

Cici is a sweet mare!


I floated Cicis teeth today. “Floating” is a weird term, since I am actually filing the teeth. Horses' teeth grow throughout their lives and as the horse chews, the edges of the teeth become sharp and need to be filed down.

I was amazed at how sharp the points were on her teeth --- she had deep sores on her cheeks because of them. I cannot imagine the constant pain that she was in, with each chew, she had to compare the pain of her hunger pangs to the pain that she felt in her mouth… and then make the decision as to which pain she wanted to feel that day.

But now, she does not have to feel pain anymore. In about 30 minutes total, we changed her life. She was such a good, trusting girl while I worked. She did not know me, and she definitely did not know anything about the powerfloat, since she had never had her teeth worked on in all of her years. But she was a trooper, and we got the job done!

Cici is a loving and gentle mare, and she flitters her eyelids when you pet her and speak softly to her. She loves bran mashes and whinnies when a person comes to visit her. She welcomes everyone, and is one of the most gentle beings I have met. I feel lucky to be able to have crossed paths with her.

by Dr. Miller
CHANGE Program volunteer veterinarian

No comments:

Post a Comment